Monday, June 27, 2011

Family Ties & Lies

Albert Einstein once said, "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." 

I would have to agree, because human stupidity has become over whelming present recently.  One would never think that this quote could be considered one about family, but in the context I plan to use it, it will apply very well.

One thing that is for certain, in my life I have come to terms with the person I am loving, hardworking, stubborn, outspoken (to say the least) and most of all honest.  Stupidity has never been a quality that I tolerate very easily, but that doesn't mean I haven't had my share of "stupid" moments.  At least I have had the ability in my 27 years of life to reflect on the person I have become and not to be sorry for the person I was and not afraid of whom I may become. My many experiences have taught me patience, tolerance, and acceptance.  I have to learn to accept the things I cannot understand, and tolerate those who I cannot change.

To reflect on stupidty at its finest, I pose the question to be answered, why is it that family who are so quick to talk shit about each other are so quick to defend the one they talk shit about when it is someone from the outside who has put in their two cents?  Last time I checked, the dictionary defines that as being "Two-faced"...  and the stupidity from all come pouring in like a Japanese tsunami.  Needless to say, I thought stupidity ended as we got a little bit older, and a little bit wiser, but it has been brought to my attention that stupidity can be revisited even once we are in our 50's.  As I have come to notice.  Age-old woman have the ability to act as childish as their teenage daughters and sisters.  It is this woman who yearns for her own acceptance and self-worth in order to hold on to the little bit of life she has left. All I can do is pity women of this type.

Is Blood Thicker than Water?

From a scientific perspective the answer would be yes, from a familial perspective, the answer is also yes... How many of us encounter this daily in the relationships we have with partners whom we love? At what point does the water turn to blood, and the ones we love begin to make us the priorities in their lives? How much does one individual have to sacrifice to show they have made the one they love a priority?  Do we have to make sacrifices to obtain this unobtainable ideal? I could only hope that we all reach a point in our relationships when the sacrifices are no longer a necessity and at that point we become a priority based on our character, honesty, and integrity.  It is these values that truly are the blood of a relationship.  It is honesty that has the ability to trump all of our other ideals.  If we do nothing right in our lives or in our relationships, be at least one thing and that is honest. 

Be honest to our friends, our family, and our loved ones.  Be honest in the stories you tell to get the things you want.  As corny as it is the truth does set us free.  And one thing is for certain you don't have to like what I say but you have to respect the honesty in it all.  I am by no means claiming to be the most virtuous person, but it has taken me a long time to realize that it is this value that holds more water than any other.

I only hope that some individuals at some point in their life, whether today, tomorrow, or in the distant future, have the ability to become honest individuals and learn the meaning of gratuity.  Be gracious for the help you have received, for the advice, for the shoulder you cried on, for the ear that listened; for the enemy that you have spawned was the one you owed the most gratuities to.  But unfortunately for your the enemy that you have created can only look at you like the child you are and hope one day you too can own up to the mistakes you made that broke your family ties that were build on your bed of lies.

1 comment:

  1. You did an Excellent job in writing this I am so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete